Monday, August 9, 2010

Research course reflection

I believe the most important thing I learned through this course is that action research/administrative inquiry is studying real existing issues within your own surroundings, examining one’s own practice, seeking out information regarding the dilemma, and implementing change based on learning. I dreaded this class because I thought I was going to have to pick a topic in the wide world of education that had already been researched to the hilt, research the research and type a paper based on my research of the research. I was pleased to discover that action research was not that process at all. What I learned through this class was a systematic approach to turning already existing wonderings, problems, dilemmas, and inquiries into innovative change supported by sound research.
I learned that we already examine our own practice, if we didn’t we wouldn’t be effective in the education field however engaging in inquiry allows us to grow professionally as a result of active examination and intended change. Dana discusses the isolation that administrators experience due to their position of ultimate responsibility and suggests that administrative inquiry “challenges these norms” by being surrounded “with other professionals conversing about practice in systematic and meaningful ways” (Dana, 2009).
I learned that reflection is a vital part of administrative practice and intentional change must result from reflection to ensure improvement. Watching the lecture for week 2 and listening to professionals that are or have been engaged in action research was interesting and made the process more realistic. I also learned from the suggestions they made that you should make sure your inquiry will increase student performance. I also learned that it is not enough anymore to learn content and pedagogy and that we as professionals in education we must have a continual mindset of inquiry. I learned that inquiry can look good for publication but if it is not applicable then it is not worth it.
I struggled to pin down a topic for my action research but once I did putting my thoughts in to questions and formulating a plan to carry out the answering the questions made action research really come alive. By articulating my plan step by step, determining the person who will carry out each step, establishing a timeline, determining the resources needed and how the steps will be evaluated I could see my questions turn into something that could examined and I could see the potential for change and improvement. I also learned from interacting with my peers on the discussion boards in that there are infinite topics to choose from out there. Reading their inquiry plans were interesting and I found myself participating in the discussion boards more during these 5 weeks. Everyone had different questions they wanted to explore however; I had tremendous interest in many of their inquiries as did other classmates.
Overall I believe I learned a great deal from this course that has changed my perspective of research. Learning that inquiry is the examination of one’s own practice, and seeking out answers to one’s wonderings in a systematic way to implement change and improve student performance has not only changed my perspective of research but made it more applicable and realistic. I will take the suggestions from the lecture and make sure that my inquiry is directly related to improving student performance. I will also heed Dana’s advice to purposefully allot time in my weekly schedule to focus on completing an activity related to my inquiry on a consistent basis. I believe that I will be continually inquiring as an administrator and this course has given me the roadmap I needed to formulate those inquiries into realistic plans that will result in positive, effective and lasting change.

Arterbury, Dr. E, & Jenkins, Dr. S. (2010, summer semester). Research, EDLD
5301. Class Lecture. Lamar University.

Dana, N.F. (2009). Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action
researcher. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment