Friday, August 6, 2010

Meeting

I met with my new principal on my new campus yesterday and briefly discussed my research plan. Since he is new to the campus and district his time is very precious. I did not get a chance to share the plan I have laid out step by step but I did get his approval on my topic and inquiry. He referenced several programs that act as positive behavioral interventions but stated that the existing tier system is a good approach as long as it doesn't have too many steps. He said it gives those in the office a chance to establish a relationship with the student before the student is slapped with a stiff penalty for on offense. He also said one of the problems is that some teachers wait too long to write a student up and by the time the office referral happens the teacher is fed up and when the administrator doesn't not administer a harsh enough consequence in the teacher's eyes then he/she is upset.
Because I was not given the opportunity to fully discuss all aspects of my research plan with him he did not understand what I was attempting. My rational is that discipline should be individualized yet remain fair. From my brief conversation with him it is apparent to me that he is pretty set on his discipline. Because of this, I don't think my project will result in any changes until I actually am in an administrative position to do so.
In the meantime, my research plan will stay as it is. The only change I will have to make is the formation of a committee. I anticipated having to do this and included it because it was a suggestion from my readings. Once again I think this will be another project that I will complete on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment