Thursday, July 22, 2010

Week 2 Reflection

I have to admit, I really struggled with coming up with an inquiry or project to research. I was drawing a complete blank. I am in transition right now from an elementary campus to a middle school campus and my new campus is without any administrators at the moment. I do not have a site supervisor to refer to therefore I sought out my superintendent and my assistant superintendent. I have since found out that my superintendent has taken a position with another district. In light of all of the changing going on I was not surprised to get no more than a response of "I will have to get back to you on that".
After completing the reading assignment for this week I realized I was trying to make this more that what it was. I realized that inquiry was just that...asking questions and then finding the answers. Every passion I read discussed very specific campus situations and wonderings that the administrators had. This seemed to put it all into a different perspective for me. We as educators ask questions all the time and seek out answers to resolve our wonderings. I am beginning to understand that action research is just the formalization of that process. It seemed less daunting when I began to understand this and I was able to focus my thoughts on my own wonderings. I was also encouraged by all of the interviews that I watched suggesting not to reinvent the wheel. Part of researching answers to questions that have regarding improvement is to find what other people have done and written about and pull from it what is applicable or use it to develop my own answers.
I have a completely different perspective of action at the end of this week's work as what I did before I began. I have also been able to pinpoint an inquiry that I will be able to pursue despite the lack of site supervisor interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment